Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Difference a Weekend Can Make

May 24, 2015

This weekend I have pretty much lived in my neighborhood park. The freshly cut grass,  the tall trees and the community of people surrounded by mild temperatures and a gentle breeze- a true oasis in the city! I feel as happy sitting here in the grass as I would sitting on a beach somewhere far away.  Maybe its purely the the effects of nature or perhaps the meditation and all the reading that make me feel so hopeful and content.  I've spent the last two days absorbed in a book lent to me by an amazing woman in my life. Its title is Voluntary Simplicity by author Duane Elgin. The book was first published in 1981, and was revised for the second time in 2010. Its themes are more relevant than ever and speak to me exactly where I am these days. The idea that we have the ability to choose to live a more simple,  less materialistic life... The possibility that it could just make some of us feel happier than a life filled with busyness & material possessions... especially since so many of the  quotes from people who answered a survey on living a simple life back in the 70s, seem like they could have been written today... if nothing else, this book makes me feel like I'm not alone in my right-now desire to live on the simple side- no car, low-stress 9-5, second hand clothes, real food, less chemicals.... its nice to feel part of a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment