Friday, May 22, 2015

Paying attention

As I continue to explore mindfulness in my own life and think about how to apply it to my practice as an early childhood educator, I recognize that a great many elements are things that I already incorporate daily into my work with children.  In fact, although I did not have the specific vocabulary before, I think mindfulness is the reason I chose this profession in the first place.

Jon Kabat-Zinn, the founder of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction  (MBSR), could be called the father of mindfulness. Many other experts in the field reference his work, specifically his definition of mindfulness: "paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally, to the unfolding of experience moment to moment."

I often share my story of how I came to love early childhood education (ECE) because in order to do it well, you NEED to be present.  My first position in ECE was at the Penn State Child Development Laboratory  (CDL) during my years as an undergraduate.  Although I first proclaimed my desire to be a teacher around the second grade with Mrs. Revelle,  I didn't go to preschool myself, and never before thought about working with children younger than school-age.  With just a semester of working only a few hours per week with infants and toddlers, 0-3 years, I recognized the therapeutic  value in the job. When I turned the doorknob of the Sense of Wonder classroom, high and out of reach of little hands, I was given permission to leave all my worries outside. The big exam coming up, the chapters to be read, and the dynamics of making new friends in a new town,  all got put on hold when I walked through that door. I was allowed- encouraged and expected actually- to smile, laugh, sing, dance, read, paint, draw, dig in the dirt, go down the slide, splash in the water, and use my imagination without interruption. If my task was to feed and help an infant take a nap, the only thing in the whole world I had to think about was getting that milk, soothing that baby, and making that rocking chair the most inviting place possible for that new little life in my arms. 

Fifteen years after I first entered the Sense of Wonder classroom, here I am, still working with young children and enjoying every moment of my life. There aren't many professions in which the job description includes: stop to smell the roses, gaze at the clouds in the sky, and close your eyes and listen to the sounds all around.  When I ask my young friends, "What do you notice?" I too, take notice. I am
"paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally, to the unfolding of experience moment to moment."

There is, of course, more to mindfulness than just being observant on a neighborhood walk. This realization that my manner of sharing the world with young children already falls within the realm of mindfulness, is beyond encouraging.

My LO continues to ask for the relaxation story and asked today to meditate on her yoga mat. We read the Peaceful Piggy Meditation book for the first time today and our one minute of paying attention to our breaths went great! A couple of days ago I noticed that she was a little more fidgety than normal and I asked if she could think of some things that she needs to do in order to relax and fall asleep. She came up with three: close eyes, deep breaths, stay still. Now, each day before we start relaxation story we set the tone by remembering the keys to relaxation.  As I sit on this park bench, in preparation for a mindful Memorial Day weekend without any children for whom to care, I remember the words of LO, "close eyes, deep breaths, sit still."

**Check out your local library :-)
Peaceful Piggy Meditation by Kerry Lee MacLean

Two foundational books by Jon Kabat-Zinn  (I skimmed through each,  but have not entirely read either yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment