Sunday, May 17, 2015

Nap time trick or Something More?

On a typical afternoon in April, I finished reading a pre-nap story with three-year-old Little One.  I then suggested we tidy up a bit before heading to bed.  The next three minutes of picking up books and toys, swiftly transformed her state from drowsy to over-tired/hyper. As the nanny, I was fearful that this would lead to a no-nap day, and an unpredictable evening with her parents.  Tidying up would totally not have been worth it. I shuffled through the files of possible relaxation tricks in my mind and pulled out a body scan meditation, calling it Relaxation Story. And so the tale of Something More, began....

As she settled down on that first day, laying still and falling asleep faster than usual, I noticed how relaxed I felt as well.  In the evening, I did the same body scan focusing on the breath with two other children I care for, and the results were similar- they visibly relaxed and fell asleep directly.  Perhaps I was on to something here. I decided to observe how the children would respond over time, and the results have been phenomenal.  It is now three weeks later and the children each seem to enjoy the Relaxation Story. LO, who I am with five days a week, asks for it by name.

Throughout the three weeks since that first nap time, I began to drop other mindful tidbits into conversations with LO. I introduced her to the idea of deep breathing as a strategy to feel calm during non-bedtime moments and we practiced mindfully eating a prune at breakfast.  We discovered the children's book Anh's Anger by Gail Silver at the library and she and her parents were immediately receptive.  I believe this book should be on the shelf of every child and early learning center to provide a means of identifying and coping with strong emotions (click here to see the beginning of the book read aloud).  LO initiated play on Friday that reenacted the plot of the book, extending the circumstances in which anger occurs, to her own life experiences.  She gets it!

Over the last five years I've attended spiritual-based meditation workshops, read various books on the subject and attended the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program at Jefferson, but have yet to practice mindfulness or meditation on a long-term consistent basis.  I feel fortunate that these experiences provided me the knowledge and insight necessary to give this technique a try with the children in my care.  I am feeling calmer and more emotionally balanced myself, and am enthusiastic about all there is to learn in this area.  Regular practice is now a part of my day and I've bought and borrowed several more titles specific to using mindfulness with children. I'm excited to learn enough to teach others about the benefits of mindfulness practice in everyday life.  As I embark upon this exciting journey, I've decided to track my progress and collaborate with others in the mindfulness community using this blog.  Please feel free to drop me a note, make a suggestion or ask a question.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment